Working in the United States

As a Canadian citizen, you enjoy the convenience to enter U.S. with no visa, even with no passport. What you need is only a photo id to prove your Canadian citizenship. Typically, this could be your Canadian citizenship certificate. Moreover, working in U.S. becomes less complicated.

If you are not a Canadian citizen, an H1 type of visa is needed to work in the states. For a Canadian citizen, you only needs a "TN" status. The "TN" visa is only available to citizens of Canada or Mexico, under the terms of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).

Qualifications for a "TN" visa

A citizen of Canada may work in a professional occupation in the U.S. provided that all of these conditions are met:

  1. The profession is recognized under NAFTA.
  2. The alien possesses the specific criteria for that profession.
  3. The prospective position requires someone in that professional capacity.
  4. The alien is going to work for a U.S. employer.

How to obtain a "TN" visa

Citizens of Canada, at the U.S. port of entry, shall:

  1. Request "TN" status.
  2. Provide a copy of the applicant's college degree and employment records which establish qualification for the prospective job.
  3. Provide a letter from the prospective U.S.-based employer offering him/her a job in the United States.
  4. This job must be one which is included on the list of professions under NAFTA, Appendix 1603.D.1.
  5. Pay a fee of US$50.
  • Canadian citizens are not required to obtain a visa, but instead receive "TN" status with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) at the port of entry.
  • The "TN" status will only be granted if the period of stay is temporary.

Back to Canadian Citizen Topics

This is not a government site, the information on this page is provided for reference purposes only.

Canadian Citizenship Test On-line Canadian Citizenship Practice Test
Copyright © 2002-2013 . All rights reserved.